Kelly's version of Marisa's version of Mo's famous pancakes
For the Mix:
- 1 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups a.p. flour
- 1 cups honey toasted wheat germ (regular toasted wheat germ can be substituted if you can't find the honey stuff)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 c. + 1 Tbs cane sugar
- 1 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 eggs
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 2 tsp. or melted butter
- 2/3 cup pancake mix
- Mix all "mix" ingredients together and store in an airtight jar or container in the fridge until ready for use (all those whole grains can go rancid quickly, but cold storage will extend their life).
- To make pancakes, whisk together eggs, milk and oil or melted butter. Mix in pancake mix. If it seems to thick, add a bit more milk.
- Heat a griddle to medium heat and oil it lightly. The pancakes are ready to flip when the bubbles around the edges of the cakes pop and stay open.
- Cook just another minute or two on the other side.
- Serve with maple syrup (real only, please), jam and yogurt or honey.