Monday, June 28, 2010

My Favorite Homemade Pancake Recipe

Growing up, the only pancake I think I ever ate was a Bisquick pancake and ...I really don't care for them.  The older I got, the more I realized there were good pancakes out there to be eaten, so of course on my quest to be able to make anything and everything from scratch, here's the recipe I've developed for a light, fluffy, delicious homemade pancake.

These are some SWEET kitchen essentials.  A silicone spatula and an enameled Cast-Iron skillet.  I love being able to use my spatula in hot foods without it melting, and as for enameled cast-iron...well, it's pricey, but awesome.  You get that great heat conduction of the iron skillet without having to worry about the constant seasoning and rusting of traditional cast iron.   And Julia (Childs, that is) recommends enameled cast iron, so that's enough reason for me to use it!

Kelly's Buttermilk Pancakes (small batch)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp melted butter
2 eggs divided
3/4 cup buttermilk (you can substitute yogurt for the buttermilk!)

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix with a wire whisk. Add the egg yolks, buttermilk and melted butter to the dry ingredients and whisk until well blended.  Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into batter.  To fold do a bottom to top circular motion "lifting" the bottom of the bowl ingredients onto the top and "folding" over with a spatula.  If you choose not to beat the egg whites, your pancakes will not be as light and fluffy.  The buttermilk gives a great flavor to the pancakes.  Heat a heavy skillet (I use a large iron skillet) over medium low heat with a tablespoon of corn oil.  When the oil is not (not smoking), add the batter in 1/4 cup amounts.  Batter may need some shifting to create a circular pancake, but move quickly!  When the pancake has even bubbles on top, turn and cook the other side.  If you keep you heat low enough, your pancakes should not burn, but they do take longer to cook.
Note:  This recipe feeds 4 quite nicely. You can double this recipe for a larger crowd by doubling all ingredients except the eggs.  You only need 3 eggs when doubling.
My favorite pancake syrup is Log Cabin when I'm too cheap to buy real maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment